Here are 7 tips to look slim in your swimsuit.
1. Buy bigger – A common mistake is to go too small, especially with bikini or tankini bottoms. (Don’t be distressed if you need a larger size – swimwear often runs a size or two smaller than streetwear).
2. Brighten up gradually – Although dark-skinned women can wear bold colours right away, paler types should start summer with a neutral colour like mocha or chocolate (less stark than black), working up to brighter shades as they get some sun.
3. Accentuate the positive – Put colour and pattern where you want attention, dark solids where you don’t.
4. Know your body – Each figure type imposes its own limits. Some helpful innovations: bikini tops with fixed cups (like a T-shirt bra for the beach) to support larger breasts, one-pieces with cut-away backs – they cover the stomach but look like sexy two-pieces from the behind.
5. Psych up for trying on – Shop in the morning, on a relatively empty stomach; avoid bloat-prone days. Self-tanning beforehand makes you feel more confident, and the arms and legs look slimmer.
6. Don’t rush – Block out a few hours for shopping, and try on at least 10 swimsuits. If the changing room doesn’t have a three-way mirror, leave.
7. Explore online options – Make sure the website has free returns so you can order several swimsuits and sizes without risk – essentially, your home becomes your changing room.
To discover more health tips and more, head to our health section here.